Discover the Life and Work of the Great Irish Writer
Follow in the footsteps of the legendary Irish poet and Nobel Prize winner Seamus Heaney on this day-long literary tour of his native South Derry. We will explore the many places that inspired his poetic journey and included is a tour of the Seamus Heaney HomePlace and a visit his tranquil final resting place in Bellaghy Graveyard.
Walk through the fields of his beloved Tamlaghduff within sight of Seamus Heaney’s family home at ‘The Wood,’ perhaps enjoying a chance meeting with one of his brothers. Stroll through the ‘squeaking sedge’ on the Strand at Lough Beg, made famous in Seamus’ eulogy for his cousin.
Gaze out over the vast expanse of Toner’s Bog, from his eponymous poem ‘Digging,’ now returned to its natural state in the total stillness of Ballymacombs. Or simply breathe the Bellaghy air that Seamus himself breathed as you immerse yourself in the totality of his amazing sense of place.
Whether you’re a Seamus Heaney novice or a scholar of his body of work, this tour will be intimate, moving and arresting in equal measure, delivered with the characteristic humour, knowledge, and subtlety of a fellow Bellaghy native.
This tour lasts for eight hours (including travel times) and will take in the following attractions:
- The Forge at Hillhead
- Lagan’s Road
- Eel Fishery at Toome
- The Strand at Lough Beg
- Church Island
- Toner’s Bog
- Bellaghy Bawn
- The Turfman Sculpture
- Seamus Heaney’s Grave
- The Seamus Heaney HomePlace (allow 90 minutes)
- Hotel/cruise ship pickup and drop-off
- Alternative pickup and drop-off at the Belfast Welcome Center, 9 Donegall Square N, Belfast BT1 5GJ, UK
- We’re in Ireland, so prepare for all types of weather.
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Some sites have limited disability access.
- No meals are provided on this tour.
- Price includes all admissions.
- Price does not include tips.
- All entrance fees included
- Bottled water
- All-inclusive tour
- Free local hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Lunch and snacks